On March 7, 1904, the Oakwood Cemetery Association authorized the building of a chapel and vault, not to exceed $5,000. The chapel was built in a Gothic style with shingled sides. It faced west. The interior housed the superintendent’s office as well as a chapel with a choir gallery, organ, and seats for mourners. The main floor chapel had enough oak pews to seat 125 people. There was a small closet for clergy use and a pulpit. In front of the pulpit was a device to lower caskets into the vault below. The basement vault had enough spaces to hold 75 caskets (to store them until the ground thawed for burial). The chapel was dedicated in October 1904. Over 1,000 people attended the dedication ceremony.