After the initial clearing and plotting of the land, the cemetery didn’t get much attention. It was up to the individual lot owners to take care of their spots. Mrs. Sherwood continued,
Early in the morning, men went to the cemetery armed with axes and spades to clear hazel brush. Mrs. Sherwood and Mrs. Frederick King were the refreshment committee. They collected food in a democrat wagon and carried it to the Crane house. Mrs. Crane’s stove was used to heat food. Rough tables were spread in the yard and a big dinner was served at noon. After lunch, everyone worked together to mark the lots with stakes. “Men of the village came with saws and axes. The women came along to make dinner. They transformed a piece of land, overgrown with brush and timber, into a fitting burial ground.”
(Later accounts about the day tend to minimize the women’s role. They suddenly “just came to bring food.” But, earlier newspaper articles talk about how women were the main instigators to get the cemetery cleaned up.)
In 1895, the renamed Oakwood Cemetery Association bought 160 acres from the Adler Farm adjoining the cemetery to expand. Anton Friedrich was also elected superintendent of the cemetery at this time. Under his care, the cemetery was graded, “unsightly” grave mounds were leveled, flower gardens were laid out and each year the cemetery was more made more beautiful.